Monday, January 18, 2010

Buttered Perfection

I've recently gotten into baking my own bread. It's healthier for my kids because I can use organic ingredients and whole grains, it's delicious, and it costs much less than buying it at the grocery store. Plus it's quick and fun.

Yes, I said baking bread is quick. And fun. And no, I haven't lost my mind. I stumbled across a wonderful recipe book, Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day, by Zoe Francois and Jeff Hertzberg. That's how my romance with baking bread began. They have a new book out now, Healthy Bread in Five Minutes a Day, and it's even better than the first. My favorite recipe so far is their "100% Whole Grain Maple Oatmeal Bread," found on pages 145-146 of the second book. I served it the other night at our home group Bible study, and let's just say Doug and I were picking the crumbs off the serving tray as the rest of our group pulled out of the drive. With a little butter, this bread is perfection.

No comments:

Post a Comment