Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Baby's Safest Sleep Spot

I breastfed both of my children past their first birthdays, and they both slept in our bed the entire time. I researched this decision, read tons of articles and medical reports, and made an educated decision when my firstborn was three weeks old that co-sleeping was not only safe, but was by far the healthiest thing for her and for me. That said, I received some flack for this choice, because most folks have heard that a crib or bassinet is the only safe place for a baby to sleep. Ironically, support for my decision came from an unusual and unsuspected source: our pediatrician. Perhaps this was because she was also a certified lactation consultant.

Here's a fantastic article on the subject. I'm not posting this for myself, because I no longer co-sleep or breastfeed (my children currently are ages five and three). This is also not intended as a brow-beating toward any mom who has chosen a different path -- bottle feeding or letting baby sleep in a crib. No, this post is for all those women who discover for themselves that you and your baby get more/better sleep if you co-sleep, yet worry that it might not be the safest thing for your baby. Click the link, read the article, and put your mind to rest.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/12/08/Newborn-Babies-Were-NOT-Designed-to-Sleep-Alone.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment