Thursday, May 21, 2009

Homecoming

I returned home today from the Blue Ridge Mountains Christian Writers Conference. Anybody who's been to a writers conference knows how overwhelming they can be. By the end of each day, your brain is at maximum capacity, unable to retain another crumb of information. Combine that with the emotional highs and lows of networking and fellowshipping with other writers, agents and editors, and by the time the conference is over, many of us are simply wiped out.

Functioning on three-and-a-half hours of sleep and a general numbness after four days of being overly-sensitized, my drive home was excruciating. But all that slipped away into nothingness when I pulled into my driveway. My four-year-old daughter and two-year-old son were playing in the front yard when I got home. I could read my daughter's lips as she said, "Mommy's home!" and then bounced up and down. She raced to the picket fence gate, her little brother close on her heels. I was barely out of the car when she threw her arms around my legs. "Mommy!" This time I got to hear her sweet voice. My son echoed her excitement. I grabbed them both and just held them tightly for a moment.

1 comment:

  1. Aww! I hope you had a good time at the conference! (And I know you'll love the homeschool one - they're awesome! It's sort of like the writer's one, I guess, in a sense that you meet other people who are doing what you do. It's encouraging. Plus, there are a lot of good used books sales. lol) There's really nothing like a little kid being excited to see you. Though I don't have any kids, I get the feeling when my neices and nephew come see me. My poor nephew Reid was sick today; my mother was holding him, but he kept calling my name and wanted me. It was refreshing to be number one on the list for a change. :)

    ReplyDelete